Saturday 8 June 2013

It's All About Me

I know McFly will be insisting that "It's All About You", but I'm going to disagree. Actually, it's all about me.  

I am approaching my 4th half marathon tomorrow, also taking part in Juneathon and have had a really emotional week or so.

Currently I am back to feeling relaxed about the morning's run (and the month as a whole) but it has been a real rollercoaster and I'm sure in the course of writing this I'll have changed my mind many times as to how I feel.

I think a lot of what makes it difficult for me is that I know so many great runners. It's difficult to not try and compare myself to their amazing achievements.  I'm never going to be really fast or be able to put in huge mileage, but I have started to realise that really, it doesn't matter.

This time last year I could just about do a 9 mile run - tomorrow will be my 4th half, having already run 25 miles this month. I've had weeks off in that time due to injury/illness but I'm still persevering.

Maybe I'm not progressing as quickly as I could, I'm (just about) looking after 3 children and about to start the final year courses for my degree.  There's probably someone reading this who has 5 children, 3 jobs, took up running last week, has done 3 marathons and is doing an ultra tomorrow ... 

That doesn't matter. It's not about you lot, it's about me.

All I can do, all I *do* do is the best that I can.

I love to run. I need to run. I'm running. 

(Tomorrow.  Now, I'm going to bed)

No comments:

Post a Comment