Sunday 2 June 2013

Day 2 - Becca's first 10k



My friend Becca started running a little while ago and is training for her first10k race in July.  We have done a few parkruns together now and she mentioned wanting to try a longer run this weekend, around 8.5 or 9k.  Having seen how well she runs at pakrun I knew she could do the full 10k so came up with a little plan!

I knew Becca could manage the running but was worried that if I told her we were going to go so far she would worry as she wasn't very confident so I told her to not look at her watch (she put it on kind of backwards!).  I said that we would run to the pier and back from parkrun car park, which was the kind of distance she had in mind, all good there. 

We headed along the seafront, the tide was in and it looked beautiful (later on we were contemplating paddling instead) and there were plenty of friendly runners out.

Just over half an hour of chatting later and it was time to turn around already -  just past the sea life centre so we didn't have to go as far as I had first suggested.  I had hoped that by slightly over estimating the point we were running to it would feel better turning around earlier than if I got it wrong and we had to go further and it seemed to work. I often run through the fountains there but they were a little fierce today so decided against it (I probably would have if I was on my own!)

Another 30 minutes or so and we were back - 1 hour 6 minutes-  We did it!  I'm very proud of you, Becca, knew you could do it, you'll just get better and better   :-)

Although it was as warm as it was yesterday, I felt I coped better with it so I'm not worrying quite as much as I was about next Sunday.


Today's distance - 6.36
Total - 12.69


2 comments:

  1. What are you like? Like your style though....Well done to your friend (and your deception!!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bit naughty ... But it worked :-)

      Delete