Sunday 8 June 2014

Juneathon - day 8 - BTMK Fun Run



The weather forecast today had been very unpredictable - the two options were basically heatwave or torrential rain.  I had decided that I didn't want to run the Southend Half again this year so thought that maybe me and Olivia could do the  3K Fun Run but I decided to leave the decision until this morning.  When I woke up it was sunny and dry so I cycled down to the start at East Beach to register us both.  Olivia has watched me prepare for many races so was very excited to get her own timing chip. And obviously she needed a buff to wear, and can't use safety pins on her new Tshirt so needed to use my number clips, and had to wear my Garmin ... 

We were the last finishers, taking just over half an hour, but we had fun! Olivia walked/ran all the way and although she needed a little encouragement/bribery at times with the promise of an ice cream at the finish, she says she enjoyed herself. That's the most important thing - We had fun.  The support was fantastic and Olivia ran noticeably more on the sections where people were cheering her on and as we were right at the back we had fun chatting to the tail runner, Barbara, who recognised me from parkrun.



Today - 1.8 miles, my favourite ones of Juneathon so far


A very happy day tinged with sadness from the news that one of the men from my running group, Flyers Southend, died at the finish line. Thoughts are with all of his family as well as our friends who were with him.  Such a shock and a terrible loss. 


No comments:

Post a Comment